Tickets will be on sale starting Aug. 12 for the 2019 Marion High School Hall of Distinction Induction Banquet.
The banquet is set for 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Jones/Leedy/Bedford Banquet Room, Barnes Student Center, Indiana Wesleyan University, 4201 S. Washington St., Marion. (Inductees will also be a part of Marion Giants Homecoming Weekend.)
Tickets can be purchased for $40 at the Marion Community Schools District Office at Marion High School, 750 W. 26th St. (Door 22), from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can also purchase tickets online:
>> Ticket sales end Sept. 6.
The seven 2019 inductees to the MHS Hall of Distinction include GIANTS in the fields of business, sports, medicine, law, and education.
The 2019 inductees are:
- Max R. Long, M.D., Marion High School Class of 1933, World War II veteran, serving with the U.S. Marines, and earning two Silver Stars and the Navy Cross, for his work evacuating the beaches at Iwo Jima and Saipan. He returned to Marion after the war and practiced medicine here for nearly 50 years, including serving as the Marion Community Schools physician for 32 years. (Inducted posthumously.)
- John F. Boxell, M.D., Marion High School Class of 1957, otolaryngologist / head and neck surgeon who practiced in Chattanooga, Tenn., for more than 35 years, and professor at University of Tennessee College of Medicine; also provided free clinic and surgical services for underserved and uninsured populations.
- Paul Usher, Marion High School Class of 1963, past president and CEO of Marion General Hospital for eight years, after 20 years as CFO, and six years prior to that in financial services, retiring in 2016; during his tenure leading MGH, the hospital experienced significant growth, in a time when many other smaller community hospitals were begin bought out by conglomerates, and solidified itself as an important community partner through philanthropic giving.
- David Colescott, Marion High School Class of 1976, an inspiring and determined leader on the basketball court for the Giants, then at University of North Carolina, and then in the business world, serving as VP of Sales and Chief Customer Officer for Hanes Brands Inc.
- Troy Bentley Overton, Marion High School Class of 1980, West Point graduate; U.S. Army aviator, and judge advocate general who provided legal services to troops in Afghanistan; deputy attorney general of California. (Inducted posthumously.)
- Tonya (Riddle) Cornett, Marion High School Class of 1987, innovative brewmaster, first woman to win the title of Small Brewpub Brewmaster of the Year at the World Beer Cup (2008), the world’s largest commercial beer competition, brewmaster at Bend Bewing Co. in Oregon for 10 years, now head of research and development at 10 Barrel Brewing.
- Bobbie Owensby, honorary inductee, Marion High School social studies teacher for decades; sponsor of Black History Club which has expanded horizons for more than one generation of students with its spring break HBCU trips, annual plays, and more; respected and beloved community leader.
The MHS Hall of Distinction gives lasting recognition to alumni who have made exceptional contributions to the achievements and prestige of Marion Community Schools. It also serves to help inspire current students to aspire to similar success.
Any MHS alumnus who graduated at least five years ago and who has made substantial contributions to the achievements of Marion Community Schools or whose exemplary actions reflect honor on MCS is eligible for nomination. The Hall seeks to honor men and women who have distinguished themselves through superb accomplishment on a local, state or national level in diverse fields of endeavor.
Non-MHS graduates may be afforded honorary status in the MHS Hall of Distinction.
Nominations are accepted year-round. The induction committee convenes once a year to consider nominees and make selections, generally at the end of the school year. Nominees remain on the list for three years. More information, including nomination forms and details on previous inductees, is available here.