Several Marion High School musicians and two McCulloch Junior High School students earned top awards at the state finals of ISSMA Solo & Ensemble recently.
The two MJH students, eighth-graders Nathaniel Aguila and Caroline Russell, were the first students from the school to compete at the Division I level, which made them eligible for the state competition. They both earned gold at the regional level, which qualified them for state, where they both earned gold, and Nathaniel earned added distinction (given to students who score within 1.5 points or less of a perfect score)!
And at MHS, one student, senior Austin Guess, advanced to the state level in both vocal and instrumental categories, and earned gold at both!
The vocal and piano competitions were held Feb. 22, and the instrumental competition was held Feb. 29. Here is the full list of awards for Marion students at the state level:
- Tristan Galeon, an MHS senior, earned a gold medal with distinction
- Carynna Aguila, a junior, earned a gold medal with distinction on her piccolo solo and a gold medal on her flute solo
- Saralena Bergsma, a senior, earned a gold medal on her trumpet solo and a silver medal on her flugelhorn solo
- Madison Crisp, a senior, earned a gold medal on her marimba solo
- Austin Guess, a senior, earned a silver medal on his alto saxophone solo
- Soren Bruehler, a sophomore, earned a bronze medal with his trombone solo
- Saxophone trio of Austin Guess, a senior, and juniors Navia Cushingberry and Takota Russ earned a gold medal
- Trumpet trio of seniors Allison Faulkner and Saralena Bergsma and freshman Nolan Baker earned a gold medal
- Nathaniel Aguila, an eighth-grader at McCulloch Junior High, earned a gold medal with distinction
- Mark Evans, a senior, earned a gold medal with distinction
- Anna Shigley, a senior, earned a gold medal with distinction
- Mia de las Alas, a sophomore, earned a gold medal
- Evelyn Detamore, a junior, earned a gold medal
- John Flowers, a senior, earned a gold medal
- Austin Guess, a senior, earned a gold medal
- Jayden Holder, a junior, earned a gold medal
- Airen Pike, a sophomore, earned a gold medal
- Kaden Rinker, a freshman, earned a gold medal
- Kabriel Robinson, a senior, earned a gold medal
- Caroline Russell, an eighth-grader at MJH, earned a gold medal
- Shaylee Vermilion, a freshman, earned a gold medal
- Anna Wuertley, a junior, earned a gold medal
- Tim Bento, a junior, earned a silver medal
- Day’Trell McClung, earned a silver medal
Marion Community Schools congratulates these students on their great accomplishments, and expresses gratitude to the teachers who work every day to help these students develop their talent and skills!