Use this sheet as a personal guide for the financial aid process. Check off each step as you complete it. Make copies of all correspondence and forms and keep them in a financial aid file.
- Learn about financial aid. Find out what the options are for your family. Visit your local library. Look in Student Services for more information from your high school counselor.
- Visit the financial aid office of each college to which you apply. Learn the college’s due dates for aid, and ask if the college has its own financial aid form.
- File parent and student federal income tax forms as soon as possible (preferably in January) so there is accurate data to use for financial aid forms.
- Attend MHS's FAFSA Lab for assistance filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and/or attend College Goal Sunday. See the Senior Page for more information.
- Complete the FAFSA anytime after January 1 but no later than March 1.
- Read all financial aid notification and bursar notification letters carefully. Respond to any requests for additional information quickly, completely, and accurately.
Check sources for scholarships for which you are eligible:
- Each college/post-secondary institution
- Those located on Marion High School’s Scholarship Page
- Corporations where parents are employed
- Military - ROTC, MROTC
- Professional Associations