Frequently Asked Questions

What times does school start when there is a 2-hour delay?  
Click here for daily schedule information.

How do I enroll my student at MHS? 
Click here for enrollment information

What is the attendance policy, and what should I do if my student is absent?
Click here to view MCS attendance policy.

What are my child’s fees? 
Your child’s fees will depend on the classes they will be taking. However, at the time of enrollment a minimum fee of $50 is due. 

Is bus transportation available for my student?
All students living within the district boundaries can request bus transportation. Click here for more information.

I have moved. Where can I get my child’s new bus information? 
First you will need to contact the school secretary to update your student record. After you have spoken to their home school, you can contact the Transportation Department, 664-4237, for your child’s new bus information. 

What support services are available?
The Student Services / Counseling Department provides services to students regarding academics, personal/social issues, career prep, college prep, and testing, and can facilitate communication between students, parents, teachers, and administrators throughout the student’s high school experience. There are also some support group opportunities; contact Student Services for more information. 

Is tutoring available?
Click here for current tutoring information, or see your school counselor with questions.

How can I make a schedule change?
Please see the current MHS Student Handbook for change of course guidelines.

How can I report bullying, theft or other threats to students' safety?
The best thing to do is to contact the principal at your child's school. An official, written report is the best way to help us keep our students and staff as safe as possible. For more information on our bullying policy or to download report forms, click here. However, MCS also has a Student/School Safety Hotline: Click here for more information on how to report tips via phone or email.

How can students see a counselor?
Students needing to talk to a counselor should fill out a pass in Student Services. Students will be sent a pass to come to Student Services at a later date. Students will be seen as soon as possible.

How can a student take advantage of advanced college credit / AP / dual credit opportunities at Marion High School?
There are many ways for students to take advantage of the advanced college credit opportunities at Marion High School. Click here to learn more.

What is the procedure for a student to withdraw from Marion High School? 
You will need to come into the building to withdraw your child/children. At that time, withdrawal papers will be processed, locker should be cleaned out, and any books and devices returned, along with any band instruments, JROTC uniforms, and any other classroom items that you have been loaned for that class. Fees will also be processed at this time.

How do I get a transcript and what is the cost? 
Click here for information.

Where do I get a work permit?  
Effective July 1, 2021, Indiana eliminated youth work permits completely, and now requires all employers with five or more minor employees (under age 18) to use Indiana Department of Labor’s Youth Employment System (YES) to track and report minor-employee information.